The D-Day Landings were a huge operation that was years in the planning.
- Intelligence was gathered on European coasts and German defences
- Allied headquarters were set up to create detailed plans for the sea, land and air parts of the operation.
- New equipment was created to perform specialised roles including the Mulberry Harbours (artificial harbours) and PLUTO (Pipe Line Under the Ocean).
- Training was provided for the men and women of the Allied armies, navies and air forces
- Troops were assembled in the UK in the weeks leading up to D-Day