Portsmouth will be the focus of the UK commemorations of D-Day in 2019. Would you like to be a part of this city-wide event?
How can we get involved?
The D-Day Story would like to work with groups in Portsmouth to help them uncover their D-Day heritage as part of the anniversary events. You do not need any knowledge of D-Day, just an interest in trying something different and having some fun.
What will you get out of the project?
- Learning new skills and finding out new things about your local area
- Trying something new with lots of support along the way
- People that have worked with us before have gained self-confidence by doing things they haven’t done before
- Take part in Portsmouth’s commemoration of D-Day
If you take part, you will:
- Find a topic your group are interested in, that’s related to D-Day in Portsmouth or the surrounding area, with the help of our team
- Find out more about it by doing research
- Meet with other groups that are working on the same project to share your experiences
- Show what you’ve found out to other people. You can be as creative as you want to be, for example an exhibition, play, dance, piece of art
Your group can be based in Portsmouth or within 30 miles of the city. Your project doesn’t have to be about Portsmouth, it can be about your local area.
Some examples of what past groups have done:
- Learnt how to interview local people who were around at the time of D-Day. They turned their interviews into a booklet for other people to read.
- Investigated the history of D-Day graffiti on the wall of their arts centre. They used this as inspiration to create works of art.
How do we find out more?
If you are interested in taking part or would like more information, please email Emma.Burman@portsmouthcc.gov.uk or call 02392834585.
If you already have an idea of what your group might like to research, please email a short plan that includes:
- An introduction to your community group
- The topic you would like to study
- How you plan to share your findings with the wider world