Boxted airfield opened in 1943, and around the time of D-Day was occupied by the US Air Force’s 61st, 62nd and 63rd Squadrons of the 56th Fighter Group. The group flew P-47 Thunderbolt fighters. In the lead-up to D-Day, the 56th Fighter Group flew a variety of missions, including bombing railway bridges to prevent the Germans using the French railways to move reinforcements, and attacking enemy airfields. On D-Day itself, the Group flew eight missions, followed by another eight missions the next day. During the subsequent weeks, the Group flew many dive-bombing missions in support of the Allied ground forces in Normandy.
|Address||Langham, Colchester, Essex CO4 5HX, UK|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||The 56th Fighter Group left Boxted in October 1945, when the site was returned to the RAF before closing in 1947. A small number of nissen huts remain, and a grass airstrip has been constructed over one of the old runways. Much of the site is private: part has been redeveloped as a housing estate, and the rest is used for agriculture. However the Boxted Airfield Historical Group and Museum can be visited by the public.|
|Contact details||See Boxted Airfield Historical Group and Museum website|
Check details before visiting