|Address||B2150, South Downs National Park, Southampton, Hampshire SO32 3QX, UK|
|Location type||Troop Camp|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||Privately owned.|
Check details before visiting
One of the camps in Marshalling Area ‘A’, used by Allied forces before D-Day was at Grenville Hall, to the east of Droxford. Troops based here in early 1944 included 2nd Battalion, Royal Ulster Rifles (present in mid-April 1944). The camp could hold 1,350 men and 190 vehicles.
Marshalling Area ‘A’ was the name given to a group of temporary camps around Portsmouth and Gosport, where Allied troops waited before D-Day. Most of these camps were hidden in woods, so that the tree cover would conceal them from any enemy reconnaissance aircraft that might fly over. Each camp could typically hold 1,000-2,000 troops, as well as several hundred vehicles. There were other Marshalling Areas further to the west, with the next being Area C, around Southampton. As well as these camps, further troops, vehicles and supplies were assembled along roads in the area, which had sometimes been specially widened to accommodate them.
Troops were based at many of these camps for weeks or even several months before D-Day. At the end of May, the camps were sealed, meaning that the troops inside were not allowed to leave. This was a step to minimise the risk that enemy spies – or the British public – might realise that D-Day was drawing very near. From 31 May onwards, and according to a highly detailed timetable, troops began to make their way down to the coast and embark onto the ships and landing craft that would take them to Normandy. Vehicles were often loaded earlier, and troops on foot embarked only just before D-Day. Once the troops landing on D-Day itself had left the camps, forces who would be landing on subsequent days took their place, forming a steady stream moving down towards the south coast that in many places continued for months. Later on, some of the camps were reused for other purposes, such as for holding enemy prisoners of war.