In mid-1944, P-51 Mustang fighters of 4th Fighter Group were based here. From early 1944, the Mustang began to escort US bombers on raids deep into continental Europe. On D-Day 4th Fighter Group flew five missions in support of Allied forces, both engaging enemy fighters and attacking enemy ground targets.
RAF Debden was opened in 1937. In the early years of the Second World War, this was an RAF fighter station, and it was a Sector Station during the Battle of Britain. In 1942, the RAF’s Eagle Squadrons (71, 121 and 133 Squadrons RAF) were based here. These units got their name from their predominantly American personnel, and that September they converted into the United States Army Air Force’s 334th, 335th, and 336th Fighter Squadrons – so the base was transferred to the United States Army Air Force. The airfield was occupied by three squadrons of the 4th Fighter Group, initially flying P-47 Thunderbolts and then P-51 Mustangs from April 1944.
|Address||Wimbish, Saffron Walden, Essex CB10 2UX, UK|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||The US Air Force left in July 1945. The site is now a British Army barracks.|
Check details before visiting