Glenfinart House, initially used as a War Office camp, was transferred to the Royal Navy in 1942, and provided training facilities for Royal Navy Beach Commandos, not to be confused with Royal Marine or Army Commandos. The job of the Royal Navy Beach Commandos was to go ashore in the first landing wave during D-Day and set up a protected base for the Beach Commander to operate from – his job being to control the flow of incoming and outgoing landing craft.
The training school at Ardentinny accommodated between 500 and 600 men and, unusually for the time, mixed officers with ratings. Loch Long was used for amphibious landing drills, and training in reconnaissance and specialised beach skills. Further training included weapons usage, embarkation and disembarkation of landing craft under battle conditions, field survival, and exercises such as rock climbing, assault courses, and route marches.
|Address||Unnamed Road, Dunoon, Argyll and Bute PA23 8TS, UK|
|County||Argyll and Bute|
|Location type||Naval Base|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||The site burned down in 1968 and only part of the House remains. It has since been taken over by a caravan park and cannot be accessed unless staying on the site.|
Check details before visiting