|Address||PO4 9LD, UK|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||Owned by English Heritage, open to public only very infrequently on open days.|
|Contact details||See English Heritage website|
Check details before visiting
The Inter-Services Training and Development Centre (ISTDC) at Fort Cumberland, in the Eastney district of Portsmouth, was established in the late 1930s to conduct experiments in combined operations techniques, such as landing troops on enemy shores. This small unit created – or began the process of planning for – vessels that played vital roles in D-Day. These included the ‘Landing Craft, Assault’ (LCA), the ‘Landing Craft, Tank’ (LCT) Mk.1, and the ‘Landing Ship, Tank’ (LST). When war broke out in 1939, the ISTDC was initially disbanded, but then re-instated when it was realised that there was likely to be a need for amphibious warfare in the upcoming conflict! In 1942 the unit was disbanded, as Combined Operations Command under Lord Louis Mountbatten had grown to replace it. The early role of the ISTDC is little known today.