|Address||Wansford, Peterborough PE8 6NT, UK|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||Mainly private land. The airfield was returned to the RAF, and was sold in 1959. The site is now farmland. Several buildings survive and can be seen, as well as a memorial.|
Check details before visiting
Kings Cliffe airfield was opened by the RAF in 1941, and transferred to the US Air Force in January 1943. Around the time of D-Day, Kings Cliffe was occupied by the 55th , 77th and 79th Squadrons of the 20th Fighter Group, who flew P-38 Lightning aircraft.
At first their main duty was long range escort of US bombers on missions over German-occupied Europe. From March 1944, fighter-bomber missions became just as common, involving often low level attacks on enemy targets such as trains, airfields, and anti-aircraft gun positions. The units became known as the “Loco Group” because of the success of its frequent attacks on railways locomotives. At the time of D-Day, the 20th Fighter Group’s aircraft patrolling the skies of Normandy, and later in June they went back to their usual role of bomber escorts and fighter-bomber tasks.