Troops camped in Marshalling Area S were part of follow up force ‘L’ which landed on the British beaches in Normandy in the days after D-Day. Among the units camped in these camps in the county of Essex before D-Day were the 51st (Highland) Division, who began landing in Normandy on D+1 (7 June 1944). Units in Marshalling Area S embarked through ports in the Thames Estuary, such as Tilbury.
|Address||Aveley, South Ockendon RM15 4XJ, UK|
|Location type||Troop Camp|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||Today the site is a public park (Belhus Woods Country Park).|
|Contact details||See Belhus Woods Country Park website for park opening hours.|
Check details before visiting