|Address||Dorchester, Wallingford, Oxfordshire OX10 7PG, UK|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||The airfield was returned to the RAF in March 1945. The site was sold in 1957, and is now used for agriculture. The airfield was demolished after the war, but parch-marks of the runways can still be seen from the air.|
Check details before visiting
RAF Mount Farm was opened in 1940. The airfield was transferred to the US Air Force in February 1943, and was occupied by four squadrons of the 7th Photographic Reconnaissance Group – the 13th, 14th, 22nd and 27th – flying F-4 Lightnings.
Personnel and aircraft from the United States Army Air Force (USAAF) began arriving in Britain in early 1942, soon after the United States entered the war. Photographic Reconnaissance aircraft played a vital role in the work of the USAAF. They identified targets for bombing attacks. Information obtained from their aerial photographs made a successful raid more likely, and by revealing enemy defences could also reduce casualties suffered. Before and after D-Day, the Group photographed a wide variety of sites, including airfields, factories, coastal areas, railway lines and bridges. In July 1944, the Group’s squadrons surveyed German V-2 rocket sites, and that August they photographed the path of the advancing Allied armies.