Beaulieu airfield opened in 1942. It was briefly used by the RAF’s 2nd Tactical Air Force before it was handed over to the US Army Air Force (USAAF) in 1944. The airfield was used by both fighter and bomber squadrons. In support of D-Day, RAF Typhoon fighter-bombers and Boston medium bombers were replaced by USAAF P-47 fighter-bombers of 365th Fighter Group USAAF. On D-Day, the latter attacked German gun positions and communications hubs in Normandy. This was part of the efforts by Allied air forces to prevent the German defenders in France from halting the advance of the troops landing on the D-Day beaches.
During the Second World War there were twelve airfields in the New Forest, nine of which were built in wartime. Flat areas of land in this region made it suitable for creating airfields. Being situated near the south coast of the UK also made the The New Forest a useful base for aircraft operating over continental Europe.
|Address||B3054, New Forest National Park, Hampshire, UK|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||Managed by Forestry Commission. The car park is situated at Beaulieu Heath which is part of the old airfield and is used by a local model aircraft flying club.|
|Contact details||See Forestry Commission website.|
Check details before visiting