Bisterne was an Advanced Landing Ground (ALG): one of a series of temporary airfields along the south coast of the UK, prepared specially for providing air support during the D-Day landings. The airfield was occupied by the United States Army Air Force (USAAF) on 7 March 1944. The American squadrons of the 50th Fighter Group, which was equipped with Thunderbolt fighters (P-47s), flew numerous missions over the D-Day period. The airfield ceased to be in use shortly after D-Day.
During the Second World War there were twelve airfields in the New Forest, nine of which were built in wartime. Flat areas of land in this region made it suitable for creating airfields. Being situated near the south coast of the UK also made the The New Forest a useful base for aircraft operating over continental Europe.
|Address||23 Dragon Lane, Ringwood, Hampshire BH24, UK|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||Now farmland.|
Check details before visiting