During the lead up to D-Day, part of Milford Haven was taken over by the US Navy as a place where they could dock landing craft as well as make repairs to these craft. The crews would also have been stationed nearby in the town, and a Hospital in Hakin was set up with a hut encampment. The nearby Pier at Newton Noyes was also regularly used by the US Navy.
Landing Ship, Tanks (LST) were often put into Dry Docks to carry out repairs and preparation for the D-Day Landings. The base was the largest Advanced Amphibious Base build by the American Engineers and around 1,000 servicemen and women were stationed at the base during 1943 and 1944.
|Address||Nelson Quay, Milford Haven, Pembrokeshire SA73, UK|
|Location type||Naval Base|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||The base has since become a yacht marina and is accessible, however the marina itself is only open to yacht owners and the public must remain on the outside of the fence. The Hospital in Hakin no longer exists but the Pier at Newton Noyes still stands and can be accessed.|
Check details before visiting