|Address||Wakes Colne, Essex CO6 2AS, UK|
|Site Ownership and Access Information||Private land. The site was sold in 1962, and is now used for agriculture.|
Check details before visiting
Wormingford airfield was occupied by the US Air Force’s 55th Fighter Group from April 1944. The 38th, 338th and 343rd squadrons flew P-38 Lightnings, before converting to the P-51 Mustang in July 1944. The Group’s most frequent mission was escorting US bombers on long-range raids over enemy territory. The contribution of the three squadrons around the time of D-Day included flying patrols over the English Channel, and bombing bridges in the Tours area of France.